The Logitech Performance Mouse MX is a very good mouse for general browsing and working. However, when it comes to gaming use, this model might fall a bit short. Although we say it will make it into the top 10 gaming mice, it fails to deliver on what most other gaming mice can.
As you would expect from a higher-priced mouse, it is well-designed and comfortable for many people. It supports the hand in a natural grip to minimize fatigue and also has a nice thumb-rest. It is shaped for right-handers only – sorry, lefties! The low-friction feet glide smoothly over just about any surface, giving you more control over fine movements.
It comes with a receiver extender cable that lets you place the receiver closer to the mouse in situations where there is interference or obstacles getting in the way of the signal. This accessory is a good back-up to the mouse’s already reliable connectivity.
The convenient recharging system lets you plug the mouse into the USB cable and continue to use it while the batteries are being recharged.
This model is jammed with customizable buttons – 11 of them, including 4 scroll directions. Set them up with your own macros, program shortcuts, volume control, and other common functions or leave them as the defaults. The zoom, forward and back buttons in particular make browsing and document handling easier. The buttons are well-positioned and can be pressed with a minimum of reaching. The dual mode scroll wheel allows you to quickly switch between “free-spin” scrolling and “click” scrolling.
The one point against this mouse is the lack of sensitivity settings. It has only 2 DPI settings that you can toggle back and forth, and it doesn’t have a way to fine-tune the settings, unlike more game-oriented mouses. Although this minor deficiency wouldn’t matter to some people, it could be a deal-breaker for serious gamers.
On the whole, this is a quality mouse that will serve most people very well. Gamers, however, should think about whether the 2 DPI settings are enough for their style of play.
Here are some of the features of the Logitech Performance Mouse MX:
- – New Logitech Darkfield Laser Tracking works on more surfaces than other mice–even on glass
- – Tiny Logitech Unifying receiver stays in your computer–plug it in, forget it, even add compatible wireless devices without multiple USB receivers
- – Flexible recharging system for easy charging through your computer or a power outlet, even when you’re using your mouse
- – Hyper-fast scrolling lets you fly through long documents and web pages
- – Sculpted right-handed shape with stealth thumb controls for rapid-fire web browsing, application switching, zooming and more